The Forgetful Muse

Return, forgetful Muse, and straight redeem In gentle numbers, time so idly spent; Sing to the ear that doth thy lays esteem And gives thy pen both skill and argument.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Forgetful Muse

I am The Forgetful Muse.

I am 13 years old and I love writing, acting, singing and dancing. I am currently in a theater group that is performing the musical Tom Sawyer! I'm a Bat Dancer...I know, sounds weird. But not that many people get to grow up and say that they were once a BAT in a play. We just had our first rehearsal working on our bat dance and it is more fun than I thought it would be because the music is really creepy and we kind of flow everywhere.

Anyway, I will mainly be writing about my theater group, the books I'm reading, and just anything that may pop up during the day! I will warn you, I tend to start rambling or talking in gibberish. But part of having a blog is to be able to write whatever you're feeling or thinking about at the moment, right? Right. But half of the time, I know exactly what I'm talking about, when nobody else does.

A muse is a mythological goddess who inspired poets, artists, dancers and actors. I chose 'The Forgetful Muse' for my blog because I was studying Shakespeare in an acting class and we were learning the prologue to Henry IV:

O, for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention!

I liked the sound of that. So I did a Google search on "Shakespeare" and "muse" and found this
sonnet:

Where art thou Muse that thou forget'st so long,
To speak of that which gives thee all thy might?
Spend'st thou thy fury on some worthless song,
Darkening thy power to lend base subjects light?
Return forgetful Muse, and straight redeem,
In gentle numbers time so idly spent;
Sing to the ear that doth thy lays esteem
And gives thy pen both skill and argument.
Rise, resty Muse, my love's sweet face survey,
If Time have any wrinkle graven there;
It any, be a satire to decay,
And make time's spoils despised everywhere.
Give my love fame faster than Time wastes life,
So thou prevent'st his scythe and crooked knife.

So I was looking at both of the Muses in this stanza and was trying to pick which one I liked best out of Resty Muse and Forgetful Muse. I'm sure you can guess why I chose The Forgetful Muse. I am pretty forgetful. And it doesn't have much to do with my posts but it does make sense that I would start writing a post and forget entirely what I'm talking about. I do that when I'm talking too! Also, I liked how Shakespeare invoked the forgetful muse as the one who "gives thy pen both skill and argument." It seemed appropriate to make the connection between the forgetful muse and writing, since that's what I'll be doing here. Besides, it sounds fun to think of myself as The Forgetful Muse.

3 Comments:

At 11:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a fantastic explanation of your blog name - i love it!

i'm sure you'll be a lovely bat dancer. once, i was a piece of bacon in a 2nd grade play. i'd rather be a bat!

 
At 9:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clio is the muse of history. It seems she's a forgetful muse, because we seldom learn from the examples of the past. Or we forget them as soon as the test is taken. Good choice for your title.

 
At 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a comment like a month ago. Why hasn't it been approved? Has the forgetful muse forgotten to check?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home